Monday, July 25, 2011

VA-CA-TION...in the Summertime!


Please excuse the lack of posts and updates but the Block Island Seafood Co. was away at the homeland with family.  BI, RI has been the family's vacation destination for the past 18 summers and that will not be changing anytime soon.  Family members, old and young, all appreciate the island's beauty and the time spent there together as precious.   This year we had the first annual Clam Shuck Competition.  The winner had to shuck one dozen clams while keeping to a strict set of requirements (appearance,  no chipped shells, readily edible, etc.)  Included in the shuck-off were your's truly, and my (much) older brothers Drew, Mark and Matt.  For a little background on the competitors, Drew and Mark were formerly employed at Joe's Seafood which was located in Woodside, NY and Matt is a Culinary Institute of America trained chef.  I knew I was up against some of the best in the business, but, truth be told, I am the one who has the most recent experience and practice.   We shucked over 8 dozen clams in a heated competition.   Bets were placed, screams were heard 'round the island and children were scared for their lives.  I am proud to say that my brother Drew took the title as being the fastest, baddest motha' shucker on Block Island.  He shucked one dozen clams in just about two minutes.  I am so proud of him and he has always been a true mentor to me.  A new record was set (reminder: this was the first competition) and I will be practicing all year-long to beat it.  


 

All clams were used to make linguini with white clam sauce for the family.  It was one of the most memorable moments of the trip for me, and, I am sure, for Drew.    



Cheers!
Craig 
www.blockislandseafood.com 

1 comment:

  1. Craig i beg to differ my time on a dozen clams was 1.25 and the slow rolls were about 2 mins.I dusted these guys by 30 secs each time. I am not bragging but we all know how these internet rumors start and we cannot have my rep as the baddest mutha shucka tarnished.Drew

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Block Island Seafood Company (BISCO) helps fellow seafood enthusiasts enjoy the gifts of summer in their own homes all year long. BISCO will leave your family and friends with a memorable experience beyond the traditional catered gathering by providing a dynamic chef and extraordinary cuisine. Block Island, RI (41°09'N 71°33'W) is a small island that sits in the Atlantic Ocean between Rhode Island and Montauk Point, NY. For many years it has been a vacation spot for me and my family, and now I’d like to bring Block Island to your dinner table.