Tuesday, October 11, 2011

In the Can

Have you ever seen oysters in the can?  I hadn't until I came across these antique oyster tin cans.  






Apparently, they are a real money maker and can cost upwards of $400.  I think they would look really cool in a kitchen or seafood market.  


Here are some interesting findings that I found here
1819 - Oysters first packed in New York.
1840-49 - Oyster packing in tins becoming big business in Baltimore, MD.
1851 - Term "hermetically sealed oysters" introduced.
Mid-1880's - Oyster packing moves to the southern Gulf states. 
1915 - Biloxi, Mississippi surpasses Baltimore in oyster canning.
1931 - Oysters are being canned on the west coast at Puget Sound, Washington.
2011 - Block Island Seafood Co. discovers oysters in a can. 

Have you ever seen oysters in a can? 

Cheers, 
Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Block Island Seafood Company (BISCO) helps fellow seafood enthusiasts enjoy the gifts of summer in their own homes all year long. BISCO will leave your family and friends with a memorable experience beyond the traditional catered gathering by providing a dynamic chef and extraordinary cuisine. Block Island, RI (41°09'N 71°33'W) is a small island that sits in the Atlantic Ocean between Rhode Island and Montauk Point, NY. For many years it has been a vacation spot for me and my family, and now I’d like to bring Block Island to your dinner table.