Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesday Tips


After throwing out one too many heads of lettuce I decided to take action against the wilting villains who turn my once green, crisp lettuce into a slimy, wilt-y mess. A little research and foodie polling led me to a new lettuce preservation process*. My first step was to wash the lettuce once I got it home and dry it throughly. For this I used a salad spinner and worked in small batches. Next, I dried the lettuce even more using a paper towel. Finally, I placed small batches of the lettuce into plastic baggies with a twist tie. (Some folks will tell you to wrap the lettuce in paper towels or a damp cloth. I have tried both methods but they do not hold up for more than a few hours, in my opinion.) I did not over-stuff the bags, but instead, left room for some air. I placed the baggies in the veggie drawer of my refrigerator.

The results: After a few days the lettuce was still crisp. Plus, when I went to make a salad, the lettuce was already washed and portioned. Lazy was no longer standing in the way of healthy eating. So I would say that I have pretty much hit jackpot. It's the little things, folks!

Do you have any food storage/preservation tricks that you would like to share? Email me, craig@blockislandseafood.com.


*This is a technical term.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Block Island Seafood Company (BISCO) helps fellow seafood enthusiasts enjoy the gifts of summer in their own homes all year long. BISCO will leave your family and friends with a memorable experience beyond the traditional catered gathering by providing a dynamic chef and extraordinary cuisine. Block Island, RI (41°09'N 71°33'W) is a small island that sits in the Atlantic Ocean between Rhode Island and Montauk Point, NY. For many years it has been a vacation spot for me and my family, and now I’d like to bring Block Island to your dinner table.