Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A nod to my buddy, Sal(mon)

If you are like me, you do not want to let food go to waste. As my grandmother would say, "waste not, want not." She is also the same woman who said "if you ask, you don't get". Some might argue with that saying but really she meant it towards her grubby-handed grandchildren.

So in the spirit of not wasting, I used my near stale pita bread to make pita chips. I am not taking credit for this "recipe" but it should be known that pita need not be thrown away.


Ingredients:
pita bread
olive oil
sea salt or kosher salt

1. Separate the pita so that it is one layer and slice it into triangles. Place on a baking sheet.
2. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt.
3. Bake until crisp.

I served these with a cucumber dip that I found at a specialty shop before dinner. It was really satisfying and refreshing. It made me realize just how essential it is to have an appetizer before dinner...even if it is just chips and dip. It somehow makes dinner feel more special.


Moving onto dinner, I made a simple salmon dish that my Cousin Judy taught me. Nothing is ever as good as when she makes it but it never stops me from trying.

Ingredients:
Salmon fillet (just ask for enough to feed the amount you are serving)
Hellmann's Mayonnaise
Lemon
Salt & Pepper
Dill

1. Lay your salmon on a baking sheet or oven proof dish. If the salmon is thinner on one end, fold it underneath so that it evens out. It will prevent the thinner piece from becoming overcooked.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Spread a thin coat of mayonnaise on top of the fish. (Sounds gross? I thought so too...you can't even taste it!)
3. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes and finish under the broiler.
4. Sprinkle with a squeeze of lemon and some fresh dill

The cucumber dip that I had with the pita chips would have been great on the salmon too but I forgot to give it a shot. I only remembered after my last bite of fish. Next time.


I hope you enjoy these dishes and make them your own.

Cheers!
Craig
www.blockislandseafood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Block Island Seafood Company (BISCO) helps fellow seafood enthusiasts enjoy the gifts of summer in their own homes all year long. BISCO will leave your family and friends with a memorable experience beyond the traditional catered gathering by providing a dynamic chef and extraordinary cuisine. Block Island, RI (41°09'N 71°33'W) is a small island that sits in the Atlantic Ocean between Rhode Island and Montauk Point, NY. For many years it has been a vacation spot for me and my family, and now I’d like to bring Block Island to your dinner table.